Job Title: Corporate Contracts Attorney
Location: Durham, NC
The Corporate Contracts Attorney will report directly to the Sr. VP and Chief Legal Officer and will be primary contact responsible for drafting and negotiating of a wide range of company contracts. In addition, the attorney will provide additional corporate, transactional and other legal support to the Sr. VP and Chief Legal Officer as part of the legal team for the company. As a part of a small but efficient and productive legal team, the incoming attorney will have the opportunity to explore, tackle and solve a wide variety of legal issues and act as a business partner to the business team. With an excellent work-ethic, the person in this role must be intellectually curious and ready to enthusiastically tackle novel legal and industry issues while providing overall legal support to a growing company.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts across all areas of the company, including but not limited to, non-disclosure, consulting, service, commercial contracts, clinical trial agreements.
- Facilitate internal contract approval and stakeholder negotiation to resolve complex issues and assist in disputes (escalating complex legal and factual issues to the appropriate internal parties). Communicates with business units ensuring all obligations are being met (e.g., milestones, deliverables, invoicing etc.).
- Draft and update appropriate templates and work with company business units to develop contract strategies to support the organization.
- Ensure consistency of contract terms with company policies and goals and best practices to enhance the contracts review processes.
- Research issues and support the company in providing a wide range of legal advice to the Chief Legal Officer and internal clients.
- Interpret contract requirements, obligations and risk exposure and advise on same.
- Provide direction and guidance related to the contracting process. Provide input to the development, maintenance, and management of contracting policies and procedures.
- Educate business partners on key commercial, legal, corporate policy and other considerations to ensure timely performance and adherence to terms of contracts. Prepare contract summaries to assure proper interpretation of contracts.
- Position requires a Juris Doctorate and membership in good standing with the State Bar with 5+ years of corporate contract and business experience, including developing negotiating and managing a wide variety of commercial contracts and development agreements, ideally within the pharmaceutical industry or similar contract manufacturing/supply chain solution provider
- Proven negotiation abilities and business acumen
- Customer centric and solutions oriented approach in supporting both external and internal clients while protecting the best interest of the company
- Experience in a global business environment
- Experience developing, driving and implementing legal solutions
- Ability to deliver strong results with limited resources, under tight deadlines and with a high degree of accuracy
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information
- Team player capable of leading and participating within cross-functional project teams to meet key milestones under tight timelines and stressful conditions
Interested candidates should submit their resumes to: Human_Resources(at)biocryst.com.
The statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. The manager may assign additional responsibilities and assignments from time to time.
BioCryst is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to age, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, Veterans status, disability and/or other protected class characteristics. Additionally, BioCryst is committed to achieving its business objectives in compliance with all federal, state and local laws.