Job Title: Research Biologist
Location: Birmingham, AL
Coordinate, and administer planning, research, and development of new and existing processes, ideologies, and programs for the continued support of the preclinical and discovery departments. Conduct and collaborate with other departments within the company as well as consults with outside contract organizations on research and development projects relevant to long term objectives and concerns of the company. Develop strategies to ensure effective achievement of scientific goals. Monitor and evaluate assigned personnel for tasks and projects within the preclinical department. Assists Director in developing department budget and administering capital expenditures and support personnel. Responsible for the BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Biology lab/tissue culture lab. Reports to Director of Research Biology
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for operations, and maintenance of preclinical laboratory, instrumentations and the tissue culture facility including design and performance of in vitro and in vivo testing of drug candidates. Executes activities consistent with protocols in support of preclinical studies. Drives the implementation of established and newly developed technologies for current and future targets. Works closely with Chemistry, Formulations, Drug Discovery and Management in the development of new drug candidates. Maintains a working knowledge of current technological/scientific trends and methodologies.
Specifically, the position incumbent:
- Designs in vitro studies or models for analyzing new drug candidates and current investigational drugs for activity and cytotoxicity – would include flow cytometry, enzyme assays, cell-based assay, elisa, signaling pathways, regulation of transcription, and protein and mRNA levels; assays include fluorescence- and luminescence-based formats, Western analysis, molecular biology etc
- Designs in vivo studies or models for analyzing new drug candidates and current investigational drugs for efficacy and pharmacokinetics in rodents. Pharmacokinetic studies include dosing the animals, removing blood, isolating plasma and tissues
- Implements, performs, trains, and oversees new personnel in tissue culture techniques, various lab techniques necessary for in vitro and in vivo analysis of the drug and use of various instrumentations – includes flurorometry, luminometer, flow cytometry, etc.
- Participates in technology development in the area of cell biology. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories
- Directs and maintains Biosafety Containment II Area within the tissue culture facility
- Conducts non-GLP pilot studies and prepare reports for potential drug candidates.
- Assists director in Protocol development and related reports for preclinical studies.
- Develops and implements procedures for monitoring projects in house and with contract facilities to inform management of current project status.
- Establishes collaboration and communication cross-functionally with Chemistry, BioAnalytical, Biology, and Drug Development groups to ensure appropriate guidelines and procedures are adhered to so as to maintain and facilitate the completion of company goals and objectives.
Position requires a Ph.D. with 5+ years of experience in immunology, biochemistry, or pharmacology with extensive experience on flow cytometry, Tissue culture facilities and other lab facilities and instrument management and animal models for pharmaceutical research and development, and in-depth knowledge of industry guidelines for the research and development of new drug products.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Effective problem solving skills. Ability to connect vision, strategy, and goals. Demonstrate leadership, organizational and project management skills. Strong interpersonal effectiveness skills with flexibility in working with organizations and/or partners with different cultures, values, mindsets, and approaches. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels in the organization, verbally and in writing. Detailed-oriented with meticulous oversight, coordination, and tracking abilities. Ability to work independently under limited supervision. Ability to invest time, as required, and expedites and/or completes assignments whenever necessary to meet corporate objectives. Ability to work in a challenging environment with frequent interruptions, changing priorities and deadlines.
- Must be able to lift 10 to 15 lbs (tanks, solutions, etc)
- Must wear protective clothing as required (safety glasses, lab coat) in designated areas
- Must be able to sit, stand and walk for intermittent periods of time throughout an 8-hour workday
BioCryst is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to age, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, Veterans status, disability and/or other protected class characteristics. Additionally, BioCryst is committed to achieving its business objectives in compliance with all federal, state and local laws.